Exciting youngster Kaeo Weekes has set his sights on filling the key fullback spot full-time for the Raiders in 2025. The 22-year-old speedster shared the position with Jordan Rapana in his maiden season with Canberra, showing his versatility by also playing plenty of five-eighth and halfback. But with Rapana moving to Super League in 2025, Weekes knows there is an opportunity to grab the fullback position on a permanent basis for years to come. "It's a cliche but it's a case of I'm happy anywhere in the team," Weekes told Wide World of Sports. "But having said that, I do have a preference for the spine and I've been training at fullback in the pre-season and really enjoying it. You get a lot of freedom to run there and there are so many great fullbacks in the NRL so it's a challenge. "We'll just wait and see how the trials go and what Ricky [Stuart] wants." Despite the Raiders missing the finals, Weekes had a big finish to 2024.He signed an upgraded new deal with the Raiders recently and shone for the Prime Minister's XIII with two tries against Papua New Guinea. "Getting picked in the PM's game was a real surprise and a fantastic way to finish the season," he said. "To be in that space with so many wonderful players was a real experience and the atmosphere up there was amazing. "As for the new deal, it was an easy decision. I'm staying until at least the end of 2027 and wasn't ever thinking about going anywhere else. "I loved my first season in Canberra and feel this is where my future lies."

No comments:
Post a Comment