Luai admission as Tigers pre-season put on hold

Jarome Luai has admitted captaining Toa Samoa at the upcoming Pacific Championships will be among the biggest moments of his rugby league career. The 27-year-old is fresh off a fourth-straight NRL premiership with the Panthers, but will leave the club in the off-season and join the struggling Wests Tigers. But before he gets to Concord, the fleet-footed playmaker will have a massive task on his hands, heading overseas with the Samoan squad for a historic series in England. Speaking to 9News, Luai was asked whether leading his teammates in the two-game Test series would rank as high as his title victories with Penrith. "Definitely, yeah," he replied. "I know I've just come off the back of a four-peat, but being able to do this and represent my country as captain is definitely up there." Luai has inked a long-term deal with the Tigers, bringing immediate star power and class to the squad that has finished with the wooden spoon in three consecutive seasons. Despite his rep commitments putting his pre-season training on hold, Luai isn't worried and is looking forward to joining coach Benji Marshall in the new year. "I'll be sweet - I will link up with Benji ASAP when I get back and we will start talking Tigers," he said. The man that Luai is expected to partner next year, Lachlan Galvin, is keen to play alongside the NSW Blues five-eighth. "I think he will be massive," the rookie playmaker said on Thursday from PM's XIII camp. "As we saw in the grand final, he's a quality player and he can lead a team around. He's probably gonna change our whole culture at the Tigers and that's what we need. "We want a quality player like him."

No comments:

Post a Comment