No player in Sunday's grand final has overcome more adversity in his career than under-rated Panthers back-rower Luke Garner. At various times during his journey to the grand final, Garner was cut by clubs, told 'you are too small', 'your attitude isn't good' and 'you are too slow'. At one stage, Garner had to mow lawns to make ends meet after being cut by the Roosters and reduced to playing park football. "I've had plenty of ups and downs, that's for sure," Garner told Wide World of Sports. "I started out on the wing at home on the Gold Coast, the Titans didn't really want me so then moved to the centres and played U20s for Manly and then tried my luck at the Roosters. "They tried to make me a back-rower but I just couldn't put on enough weight - and they said my work ethic wasn't good enough. "To be fair they were probably right - they sent me to their feeder club Wyong on the Central Coast and I became a park footy player who mowed lawns. "It was the kick up the arse I needed and I knuckled down and was lucky enough to be picked up by Wests in the NSW Cup and eventually Ivan (Cleary) gave me a shot at the Tigers from there.

No comments:
Post a Comment