Ben Hunt drops retirement bombshell in staggering admission about Dragons future

Dragons veteran Ben Hunt says he is weighing up retiring at the end of next season. St George Illawarra coach Shane Flanagan previously revealed that he'd sat down with Hunt to discuss a one-year extension, with Hunt's current deal running until the end of the club’s 2025 NRL campaign. And while the halfback insists he is happy at the Red V, he is unsure if he wants to play on in 2026. Speaking to Jake Duke on Fox League's Face to Face, Hunt said at 34 he feels he is nearing the end of his NRL career. "To be honest I’m still on the fence about it (the new Dragons deal) and not on the fence with the club and whether I want to leave or not," Hunt said. "It’s more about my future and how much longer I’ve got left in this game. I’m 34 now and have played a hell of a lot of footy. While I’m still enjoying my footy it’s not getting easier, I don’t want to rush into anything.” However, Hunt knows he doesn't have the luxury of time when it comes to deciding whether or not to take the contract extension with the Dragons as the club is in the midst of a roster overhaul under Shane Flanagan. “I definitely don’t think (I’ll make my decision) next year, it will be before that, the club’s I think in a position where they are looking to grow and make some moves in our roster to bring some players in," Hunt continued. “So I don’t want to leave them in limbo for too long. So I will get that sorted out at some stage, but I just want to not rush into something that I’m not 100 per cent in.”

No comments:

Post a Comment