Dylan Walker has revealed why he chose to return back to Australia with the Eels after he was released from the Warriors on compassionate grounds. Walker's decision came without the usual speculation that builds throughout the rugby league world and there was an expectation he'd be line to replace Tohu Harris at lock after his sudden retirement. However with Erin Clark filling the role, the Warriors agreed to release Walker despite being weeks into the season. "It was just time for me to come home and be a father," he said. "That was the most important thing, my kids were growing up and starting footy and (I was) wanting to be there and watch their first game, first training session. I got the opportunity today to be the footy dad at the oval." While the Eels are currently languishing in last place with four losses in a row, Walker backed them to get in the winner's circle. "There's a quality football side here, a good bunch of blokes, you put those two together and you work hard and add one or two things here and there and you're off and running," he said. "That's what I'm here to do, win footy games and help these guys develop." The Eels will hope to have their star halfback and captain Mitchell Moses back soon to rectify the horror start to the season. Moses returned to on-field running on Wednesday and the Eels confirmed he's on track for a round nine return. Walker knows he'll only have to keep it simple when the half returns. "I'm no LeBron James or Michael Jordan but I know my role and know that I can help him," he said.
Maguire reveals player power's role in journeyman's rise
Gehamat Shibasaki has been one of the fairytale stories of the first month of the premiership - and Broncos coach Michael Maguire has revealed that player power played a huge role in his revival. Over the summer, most critics thought the 27-year-old was wasting his time trialling for the mighty Brisbane Broncos backline. That he was no chance to make the club's 30-man squad, let alone the starting 13. But through sheer persistence - and a little help from his team-mates - Shibasaki is now a regular member of the Broncos team. Maguire admits he knew little about the centre of Torres Strait Islander, Japanese and Palau descent when he took over the reins of the Broncos in pre-season. "I did know that he'd been here before (in 2018-19), then moved around and lost his way a little… even went to Japanese rugby," Maguire told Wide World of Sports. "He had plenty of work to do to catch up with the rest of the guys but he knuckled down and did it and that impressed me. "The other thing - he came through the juniors with Patty Carrigan and few of the other boys and they all spoke highly about him - that worked in his favour for sure." Shibasaki started the season in the top grade but even then, seemed to just be warming the centre spot for the injured Kotoni Staggs. But last week when Staggs finally return to the club, Maguire dropped Deine Mariner and kept Shibasaki in his team. The under-rated centre responded with a two-try performance in the 20-12 defeat of the Dolphins. After being a wanderer who played six games of league in the past four seasons at the Knights, Cowboys and Rabbitohs, Shibasaki appears to have finally found a home - back where it all began.
Whisper off the mark as club rules out Galvin offer
Manly have ruled themselves out of the running for boom Tigers playmaker Lachlan Galvin in the wake of the Daly Cherry-Evans circus at the Sea Eagles. Galvin's manager Isaac Moses is known to be considering pulling his star client out of the Tigers the first chance he gets and Manly seemed the perfect fit. Moses also manages Manly coach Anthony Seibold, fuelling speculation that Brookvale was the young star's preferred destination. A Manly insider told me the club will be putting its faith in young up and comer Joey Walsh, who they have been patiently grooming for the past couple of years. Signing Galvin would also put a massive strain on the Sea Eagles' salary cap at a time when they have virtually no wiggle room. A host of clubs are keen on Galvin - but the Sea Eagles aren't one of them.
Glamour Club 'Firming' For DCE
Still on Manly and DCE - and I copped plenty of flak right here two weeks ago when I dared to suggest that the Roosters were interested in the veteran halfback. Punters declared I was crazy, that he would never leave Manly, that the Roosters wouldn't sign an ageing halfback, blah blah blah. Two weeks down the track and word in clubland is that the Roosters are firming every day as favourite's to sign Cherry-Evans, followed by the Dolphins and Titans. The situation changes by the hour, with DCE keen to put the matter to bed quickly so he can get his name off the back and front pages.
Cobbo's Trip Across The Ditch
Alarm bells started ringing on both sides of the ditch when one of my spies spotted Broncos superstar Selwyn Cobbo in Auckland last week. Cobbo has been linked with a move away from the Broncos and the Warriors are a little skinny for outside back depth. So all the pieces seemed to be falling into place… until I did a bit of sleuthing. "Nice try Moley - but he was just there for a couple of days for his partner's mum's birthday," Cobbo's manager told me. And another great story bites the dust…
Calls for Laurie Daley to axe NSW State of Origin player after poor start to NRL season
The Sydney Roosters' lukewarm start to the NRL season could have consequences for a number of State of Origin players, with many slamming Spencer Leniu for his display against the Titans on Friday night. Leniu was a revelation for NSW in 2024, providing spark off the bench with short bursts of power and speed through the middle. However he's struggled to find the same form in 2025 and hasn't been nearly as effective as a starting player. Leniu missed the first two games of the NRL season after getting himself suspended for a high tackle in the pre-season. He performed well against the Warriors in Round 3, running for 117 metres and breaking six tackles in 53 minutes. However he crashed back to earth against the Titans in Round 4, running for just 69 metres in 42 minutes of action. He also missed four tackles and didn't break any with ball in hand. The former Panthers player completely lost his head in a game-changing moment in the second half with the game in the balance at 12-12. Jayden Campbell had just scored an intercept try to level the score when it appeared the Roosters were certain to score. In the very next set, Leniu tried to fire up his team by putting a big shot on David Fifita, but he went way over the top and gave away a penalty for a second effort in the ruck. Not long after the Titans scored again, and went on to win 30-12. Roosters fans were critical of Leniu's moment with Fifita, labelling it "embarrassing" and "costly". Some even went as far as to suggest NSW coach Laurie Daley can't afford to pick Leniu in Origin this year due to his habit of hot-headed brain snaps.
'Genuinely doesn't know': Seibold opens up on DCE exit
Manly coach Anthony Seibold believes Daly Cherry-Evans genuinely doesn't know if he's going to be playing in the NRL next season. The Sea Eagles' skipper announced on Monday he would not be playing for the club in 2026, but did not say he would retire. If he elects to play on, the Roosters are favourites to secure his signature if he stays in Sydney, or the Dolphins - his former junior club - if he moves north. Cherry-Evans was denied an early release at the end of 2023. Off-contract at the end of 2025, he told Seibold and the club last December he would chase an extension. Despite having told the club he wants to leave twice, Seibold denied the suggestion DCE doesn't want to be at the club. "I don't think it's [that] he doesn't want to be here. My conversations with Chez I'll keep private, because that's the way it should be," he told The Sydney Morning Herald. "I feel Chez is very genuine with regards to him not knowing what he wants to do next. "Does he want to play on? Next birthday he's 37. Could he play on? I think he probably could, but only he can answer that. "As a 36-year-old who has played 332 games for our club – he's [also] played Origin and for Australia – ultimately he gets to make that call. "Of course people want to know [if and where he will play next], but I genuinely believe Chez hasn't made a decision about what he wants to do. "We're three rounds into a 27-round season. I think he should be able to make a decision on what he wants to do in his own time. It's a physical game."
Tigers star's career cut short by difficult decision
Wests Tigers star Justin Olam has announced his immediate retirement from rugby league after ongoing complications from a knee injury suffered in round 18 last year. The Papua New Guinea international played 13 matches for the Tigers after debuting with the Melbourne Storm. "I came here (to Australia) hoping just to play one game, and I've been blessed a hundred times over to have played more than 100," he said in a statement.
Trbojevic makes call on future
Sea Eagles talisman Jake Trbojevic has moved to allay the fears of the Manly faithful following Daly Cherry-Evans’ contract bombshell, declaring he would never play for another club. Sea Eagles skipper Cherry-Evans set off a firestorm earlier this week when he announced that he would not return to the NRL club next year. What his future holds remains to be seen - the Roosters and Dolphins have expressed interest in his services and he has also been linked with the Bulldogs. The saga played out on live TV on Monday night and included Manly bosses issuing a two-year contract extension offer via NRL360 on Fox Sports. Trbojevic said he had no concerns about how Manly management had handled negotiations - though he admitted it “doesn’t look the best, does it”. It also puts a focus on Trbojevic and his brother Tom, who are both off-contract at the end of 2026, meaning they can negotiate with rivals from November 1. Asked if he could ever play for another club, Trbojevic said: “No. Definitely not. “I’ve always played for Manly, I don’t think that would ever happen, no.” Trbojevic denied the Sea Eagles’ premiership window would slam shut when Cherry-Evans walks out the door at the end of this year. “We’ve got great players at this club,” Trbojevic said.
Huge twist in DCE saga as potential replacement revealed
Manly's search for a halfback to replace Daly Cherry-Evans may have already begun. According to 9News Sydney's Michael Chammas, the club have been interested in luring Canberra playmaker Jamal Fogarty to the club since late last year. Fogarty has a mutual option in his contract for next year in the nation's capital, which is worth approximately $650,000. "They've had their sights on Canberra halfback Jamal Fogarty as early as last November to replace their captain," Chammas said on Wednesday night. "Sea Eagles have identified Fogarty as the ideal halves partner for Luke Brooks to replace Cherry-Evans when he leaves. "Complicating the matter is that Fogarty has an option in his contract with the Raiders, that they can take up and lock him down by round six. "If they don't do so, he will become a free agent for Manly to begin official negotiations." At 31 years of age, Fogarty is entering his prime years as a halfback and has started the season well for the Raiders, but the club have youngsters Ethan Strange and Ethan Sanders on their books long-term. Strange has partnered Fogarty since his arrival at the Green Machine last year, while the highly-touted Sanders moved from Parramatta in the off-season. According to The Sydney Morning Herald, the halfback's management requested permission to negotiate with rival clubs last year, but were knocked back by Canberra. Ricky Stuart will reportedly fly to Queensland after the side's round five game to discuss Fogarty's future with player agent Chris Orr. At this stage, neither the Sea Eagles or Raiders have confirmed the reports.